- 1 - Response To Any Emergency
- 2 - Staff Responsibilities
- 3 - Tornado
- 4 - Fire
- 5 - Hazardous Material
- 6 - Radiological Incident
- 7 - Assault / Fights
- 8 - Bomb Threat
- 9 - Intruder / Hostage
- 10 - Serious Injury / Death
- 11 - Student Unrest
- 12 - Suicide / Attempt
- 13 - Weapons
- 14 - Emergency Alert Stations (EAS)
- 15 - Crisis Team Members
- 16 - Warning And Notification
- 17 - Lock-Down Procedures
- 18 - Sheltering Procedures
- 19 - Evacuation / Relocation Centers
- 20 - Media Procedures
- 21 - Emergency Phone Numbers
- 22 - Additional Resources
Suicide / Attempt
SUICIDE ATTEMPT IN SCHOOL
- Verify information.
- Call 911, if person requires medical attention, has a weapon or needs to be restrained.
- Notify school psychologist/counselor, Principal and Child Mental Health at _________________ or Suicide Prevention at _________________.
- Principal calls Superintendent and parent(s) or guardian(s) if suicidal person is student. Principal may schedule meeting with parents and school psychologist/counselor to determine course of action.
- Calm suicidal person.
- Try to isolate suicidal person from other students.
- Ask suicidal person to sign a “no suicide contract”.
- Stay with person until counselor/suicide intervention arrives. Do not leave suicidal person alone.
- Determine method of notifying staff, students and parents. Hold daily staff debriefings before and after normal operating hours as needed.
- Activate school crisis team to implement post-crisis intervention (see next column). Determine level of intervention.
SUICIDAL DEATH/SERIOUS INJURY
- Verify information.
- Activate school crisis team.
- Principal notifies Superintendent.
- Notify staff in advance of next school day following suicide or attempted suicide.
- Determine method of notifying students and parents. Do not mention “suicide” or details about death in notification. Do not hold memorials or make death appear heroic. Protect privacy of family.
- Implement post-crisis intervention.
- Meet with school counseling staff and Child Mental Health at ____________________________ to determine the level of intervention for staff and students.
- Designate rooms as private counseling areas.
- Escort siblings and close friends and other “highly stressed” students to counselors.
- Assess stress level of staff. Recommend counseling to overly stressed staff.
- Refer media to the school Public Relations Department at ____________________________. Do not let media question students or staff.
- Follow-up with students and staff who received counseling.
- Resume normal routine as soon as possible.