- 1 - Response To Any Emergency
- 2 - Staff Responsibilities
- 3 - Tornado
- 4 - Fire
- 5 - Hazardous Material
- 6 - Radiological Incident
- 7 - Assault / Fights
- 8 - Bomb Threat
- 9 - Intruder / Hostage
- 10 - Serious Injury / Death
- 11 - Student Unrest
- 12 - Suicide / Attempt
- 13 - Weapons
- 14 - Emergency Alert Stations (EAS)
- 15 - Crisis Team Members
- 16 - Warning And Notification
- 17 - Lock-Down Procedures
- 18 - Sheltering Procedures
- 19 - Evacuation / Relocation Centers
- 20 - Media Procedures
- 21 - Emergency Phone Numbers
- 22 - Additional Resources
Intruder / Hostage
INTRUDER-AN UNAUTHORIZED PERSON WHO ENTERS SCHOOL PROPERTY
- Notify Principal.
- Ask another staff person to accompany you before approaching intruder.
- Politely greet intruder and identify yourself.
- Ask intruder the purpose of his/her visit.
- Inform intruder that all visitors must register at the main office.
- If intruder’s purpose is not legitimate, ask him/her to leave. Accompany intruder to exit.
IF INTRUDER REFUSES TO LEAVE:
- Warn intruder of consequences for staying on school property. Inform him/her that you will call police.
- Notify security or police and Principal if intruder still refuses to leave. Give police full description of intruder.
- Walk away from the intruder if he/she indicates a potential for violence. Be aware of intruder’s action at this time (where he/she is located in school, whether he/she is carrying a weapon or package, etc).
- Principal notifies Superintendent and may issue lock-down procedures (see Lock-Down Procedures Section).
- If hostage taker is unaware of your presence, do not intervene.
- Call 911 immediately. Give dispatcher details of situation; ask for assistance from hostage negotiation team.
- Seal off area near hostage scene.
- Notify Principal.
- Principal notifies Superintendent.
- Give control of scene to police and hostage negotiation team.
- Keep detailed notes of events.
IF TAKEN HOSTAGE:
- Follow instructions of hostage taker.
- Try not to panic. Calm students if they are present.
- Treat the hostage taker as normal as possible.
- Be respectful to hostage taker.
- Ask permission to speak and do not argue or make suggestions.